Establish a Competitive Compensation and Benefits Target Philosophy for the City of DeSoto to Attract and Retain Top Talent
1. Ensure the current Classification and Compensation Study results establish market/internal structure alignment.
2. Simplify classification and pay structure
3. Create a Salary Administration Policy that outlines employees’ ability to move effectively through the pay plan
4. Develop a list of surrounding/competing cities
5. Conduct employee benefit survey to identify and structure benefit package offerings that best meet the needs of employees and utilize the survey data to improve attraction and retention
6. Create a comprehensive list of benefits offered by other DFW area municipalities and then seeks to make recommendations for changes to benefits in the FY 2024 Budget
4th Quarter Update September 2023
As of Q4, the Competitive Compensation Goal is 100% complete with the full implementation of the City's new compensation plan and completed review of DeSoto's benefit structure. The implementation of this new plan has been successful in reducing turnover and maintaining full staffing levels in critical service areas such as Police and Fire.
3rd Quarter Update July 2023
As of Q3, the City's new compensation plan has been fully implemented. As a result, the City's Police Department is fully staffed for the first time since 2013. The DeSoto salary administration policy was finalized and implemented within all City departments. The Human Resources finalized an employee benefit survey and provided a report to City Administration regarding opportunities for future benefit considerations to ensure that DeSoto is optimized from both a salary and benefit structure to hire and retain excellent employees.