- 2023 Business Plan
- Goal #2 Develop Overlay District
Develp an overlay zoning district for HAMPTON ROAD FOR A VIBRANT PEDESTRIAN AND BUSINESS -FRIENDLY DOWNTOWN ENVIRONMENT
1. Distribute questionnaires to City departments to understand existing conditions and near- and long term needs
2. Discuss composition of advisory committee and finalize the public engagement strategy
3. Establish a corridor brand identity package to be used throughout the planning process
4. Establish a webpage using ArcGIS StoryMaps to create an immersive experience to inform residents about the purpose and direction of the Hampton Road Corridor District Regulations
5. Conduct a joint meeting of the Planning & Zoning Commission and the City Council for charter-based zoning goal alignment
6. Submit character-based zoning district to Planning & Zoning Commission for review
7. Submit character-based zoning district to City Council for review
8. Conduct public hearings to consider the finalized character-based zoning district
2nd Quarter Update
In Q2, the Development Services Department worked with Halff Associates to continue receiving public input on the Character Based Code. A draft Character Based Code map was established, the TIRZ district was set, and corridor branding was decided. Staff is working to establish a meeting of the steering committee including developers and property owners on Hampton Road to provide additional feedback to the process. Halff is working on the draft Character Based Code Report, with more details for each zoning type including set-backs.
1st Quarter Update
In Q1, the Development Services Department established an advisory committee of City staff and consultants to guide development and public input expectations for the Hampton Road Overlay Zoning District. Surveys were conducted for the development types with results identifying the desire for modern contemporary elements in public and private improvements. Surveys also assisted in selecting a branding strategy that will be designed into the public improvements. Streetscape options and branding were confirmed with the City Council in January 2023. A Joint Meeting of the City Council, Planning & Zoning Commission, and DeSoto Development Corporation is anticipated in February 2023 to review additional public input for the Hampton Road Corridor.