Welcome to Our Community!
The department's mission is to enrich the quality of life in DeSoto, provide World Class customer service, premier parks and dynamic recreational experiences.
DeSoto Parks and Recreation is a vital component in the community that provides diverse services and opportunities. Our staff will be known for their commitment to professionalism and their ability to grow and change with the community.
- Professionalism: We will exemplify the highest standards of the profession.
- Engage: We will develop strong relationships.
- Inspire: We will encourage and promote healthy vibrant lifestyles.
- Integrity: We will be fair and honest.
Awards and Recognition
- 2021 Community Partner - DeSoto Chamber of Commerce
- 2020 Tree City USA - Arbor Day Foundation
- 2019 Promotional Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society - North Region
- 2019 Volunteer Service Individual Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
- 2018 Advocate of the Year Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
- 2017 Excellence in Maintenance and Quality, Texas Turfgrass Association
- 2016 Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies, National Recreation and Park Association
- 2015 Committee’s Choice Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
- 2015 Readers Choice Award - Best Place for Kids, Focus Daily News
- 2015 Recreation Professional of the Year Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
- 2014 Arts and Humanities Programming Achievement Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
- 2014 Excellence in Innovative Programming Award, National Recreation and Park Association
- 2014 Lone Star Programming Award, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
- 2014 Readers Choice Award - Best Community Theater, Focus Daily News
- 2014 Readers Choice Award - Best City Employee, Focus Daily News
- 2014 Readers Choice Award - Best Place for Kids, Focus Daily News
- 2014 Readers Choice Award - Best Local City Event, Focus Daily News
- 2014 Readers Choice Award - Best Health Club, Focus Daily News
- 2013 Excellence in Programming Award Special Event, Texas Recreation and Parks Society
Our Three Pillars
The DeSoto Parks and Recreation Department believes in aligning with the National Park and Recreation Association and impacting communities through health and wellness, equity, and conservation.
On any given day, someone is positively affected through parks and recreation – whether they are taking a walk on a trail or fitness class at the community center, getting a nutritious meal or just reaping the benefits of clean air and water because of preserved open space.
Health and WellnessLocal park and recreation agencies provide crucial health and wellness opportunities for all populations in communities across the country. As America continues to face serious health issues, including rising rates of chronic disease, an increased prevalence of sedentary lifestyles and poor nutrition habits, parks and recreation offer an affordable and accessible solution.
We must put equity at the center of all we do. True to the very philosophy of public parks and recreation is the idea that all people — no matter the color of their skin, age, income level or ability — have access to and are welcomed into programs, facilities, places and spaces that make their lives and communities great. Parks and recreation truly build communities for all.
Local park and recreation agencies play a vital role in the protection of our environment through green infrastructure, conservation of public lands, providing wildlife habitat and more. In addition to helping connect people to nature, local parks are essential in creating environmental stewards who will advocate for and protect our most precious public resources – our land, water, trees, open spaces and wildlife.
The Benefits of Parks and RecreationLocal parks and recreation programs are the gateways to healthy, prosperous and connected communities. On any given day, someone is being positively affected through parks and recreation – whether they are taking a walk on a trail or participating in a fitness class at the recreation center, learning a new skill through one of our classes, or just reaping the benefits of clean air and water because of preserved open space. Parks and recreation programs connect communities to nature and help preserve open space, provide health and wellness opportunities and essential services, and connect all people, making our city a more desirable destination and place to live.
The Parks and Recreation Team
Click the chart to enlarge