- Arts in DeSoto
- DeSoto Artists Lab
DeSoto Artists Lab
The DeSoto Artists Lab will allow up to six artists to work as Artists in Residence in various spaces in our community, working primarily with a designated organization, city agency or in a commercial space where the public has open access to interact with the artists. The stipend-based residencies have mutual benefits for the artist and for the community - providing time and space for artists and other creative individuals to work; and involving residents and visitors in a variety of visual and performing art forms.
Artists will be selected through a competitive process. The length of a residency can vary from one week up to six months and can support a single artistic discipline or bring together artists from across multi-disciplines.
The responsibilities of artists include, but are not limited to, self-scheduled meetings with mentors, participation in a series of technical assistance workshops provided by the City of DeSoto, conducting research to identify a space for the residency to occur, and showcasing a public presentation of their work.
The DeSoto Artists Lab Review Panel will review the materials submitted and may request an in-person or virtual interview with the finalists. Artists will be notified by email of acceptance to the DeSoto Artists Lab program and will be required to enter into a contract with the City of DeSoto for participation in the program. Artists will work with City staff to finalize a scope of services to be attached to their contract documents.
HOW TO APPLY
Artists should submit a single PDF file that includes:
1. Letter of interest (indicating a strong rationale for acceptance into the DeSoto Artist Lab and willingness to work with the City of DeSoto staff to develop a successful residency)
2. Professional resume which includes your Artist Statement
3. Project budget including artist fee for the residency period
4. Up to four images that give the review panel an indication of their work and artistic discipline. (one photo per page) Note: (Performing artists may also submit links to audio or video files.)
5. Submit two references from people who can speak to your artistic practice.
ARTIST ELIGIBILITY: Emerging or professional artists who have a strong interest in engaging the DeSoto community in creative activity. Artists working in all media are eligible.
The PDF of the full Application packet including all documents mentioned above should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.The deadline for submission of the application packet is Friday September 17, 2021 at midnight. No applications will be accepted after the deadline.